Sunday, September 25, 2016

Happy!

 Happy First Week of Fall!  Although it doesn't feel like fall this week in Southern California (it will be in the 90's all week), I'm in the mood for fall colors, soup, and pumpkin bread!

For now, working with fall colors will have to do.  I first created the background of this card on a large piece of neutral patterned cardstock.  I was inspired by Jenny over at Frilly and Funkie and the amazing technique she shared.

After the background dried, I used my circle stencil randomly on the card, as well as stamping my "stitches" stamp along one edge.  I love that stamp because I hate to sew!

The butterfly is a 3 dimensional sticker I picked up at a dollar store!    I layered it with patterned paper, a die cut scalloped circle, and a clear acetate design piece.

The "happy" is made from stickers, and the black background piece is accented with Inka Gold (I just wipe it on with my finger).  Some polka dot washi tape finishes the piece.


I'm also "happy" (sense a theme?) with the next card I made.  It begins with the same background as the butterfly card.

I used my Tim Holtz stencil with some texture paste along the side of this card.  After drying I used the same alcohol inks to add color to the dried paste.  When I added the brown paper doily, it just needed something else...does that ever happen to you?  So I stamped the flower AFTER I had already glued it to the card...does that ever happen to you?  Luckily it stamped perfectly.

The ribbon is actually seam binding, which you can get for next to nothing online.  I bought some "ugly" colors one time that were on sale,  then just inked the ribbon to the desired color. You can directly apply a dye ink pad on both sides of the ribbon to color it.   The jewel is from a child's play ring which I have literally had forever, glad I saved it because it really works on this card!  I rubbed a bit of black ink on it to age it a bit. Thanks as always for visiting!


Materials:

*neutral patterned cardstock
*Ranger Texture Paste
*Adirondack Alcohol Inks in cranberry, citrus, and butterscotch (yum!)
*Inka Gold
*stamps: stitches, Happy Life, and flower
*letter stickers
*seam binding, faux jewel
*polka dot washi tape
*brown paper doily


The butterfly card is entered in the Frilly and Funkie Going Around in Circles Challenge.

2 comments:

  1. Susan both cards are beautiful! Lovely rich autumnal colors! The butterfly is the perfect focal point for your mixed media layers in the background. Thanks for playing with us at the Frilly and Funkie Challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TOTALLY love what you've done here Susan and I'm so pleased to have passed on some inspiration. Thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie xx

    ReplyDelete